SOBEWFF® & FIU Chaplin School Hospitality Fund Has Raised $1.6 Million to Date
The little neighborhood bake sale that has turned into the hottest local foodie sensation is back for the fourth week in a row – Sunday, May 17 from noon until sold out – to keep restaurant relief alive even as South Florida community officials contemplate phases of reopening. Lee Brian Schrager’s “Putting on the Pounds (LBS)” Bake Sale benefits the SOBEWFF® & FIU Chaplin School Hospitality Industry Relief Fund, which provides immediate financial support to independently owned and operated restaurants and bars impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. To date, the Fund has raised more than $1.6 million and has already granted $1.4 million to more than 500 local restaurants in South Florida.
With a rotating squad of celebrity special guests and a line-up of treats from some of the hottest restaurants and bartenders in town, the unique social distancing-observed bake sale in the front yard of Schrager’s home has regularly drawn mile-long lines of cars to the quiet French Village section of Coral Gables.
This Sunday, Lee will be joined by co-host Nicole Lopez-Alvar, digital journalist and foodie influencer. Local food and beverage icons bringing delectable dishes this week for $25 each will be:
- Night Owl Cookies – box of 6 signature homemade cookies;
- Chef Adrianne Calvo – box of dark chocolate Nutella croissant bread pudding;
- Zak the Baker – box of chocolate and cinnamon babka;
- Cao Chocolates – box of 12 Miami-inspired bonbons and truffles;
- The Salty Donut – box of 6 chef-made, small-batch craft donuts;
- La Petite Maison – cocktail kit;
- The Dumpling Lady Miami – box of 12 spicy pork dumplings;
- Bar Lab – cocktail mixer kit featuring premade mixes of two cocktails (alcohol not included); and
- Cielito Artisan Pops – box of 5 assorted cream and fruit-flavored ice pops.
Special guests stopping by throughout the afternoon include:
- Roxanne Vargas, NBC 6 Anchor and Host of “6 in the Mix”;
- Lisa Petrillo, Emmy Award-winning journalist and CBS 4 Miami Entertainment and Lifestyle Reporter;
- Raúl de Molina, multiple Emmy Award-winning co-host of the Univision Network’s number-one-rated entertainment news show, “El Gordo y la Flaca”;
- Gio Gutierrez, Founder of ChatChow TV;
- Louis Aguirre, Emmy Award-winning journalist and ABC 10 News Anchor; and of course,
- Lee’s four-legged family members, The Browns – Charlie and Stanley Brown!
Follow Lee on Instagram @leeschrager for the address, details, and updates. Please bring cash and exact change. Additional donations for the Relief Fund will also be accepted. For more information about the Fund, to donate, or to apply for a relief grant, please visit www.sobewff.org/industry-